Duct Tape was invented by a factory worker and mother of two Navy sailors, who had the worry that problems with ammunition box seals. After WWII, the tape was sold in hardware stores for household repairs all over and became a household name and with new developments and improvements became the universal wonder of the world as we know it!
Here are 10 survival uses with duct tape.
1. Create a makeshift rope with the duct tape. By twisting the duct tape as you roll it out, you’ll create a super durable rope you can use in a number of ways. For stronger ropes double up the twisting and wrap together.
2. Extend the life of clothing and any supplies with duct tape. Use the duct tape to cover a hole in the soles of shoes or even hold your glasses together. In a survival situation, acquiring new items would be impossible, so extending their useful life is important. You can even fix storage containers that have cracked or developed holes by simply covering with duct tape.
3. Medical kit. In a situation where you need a bandage or plaster duct tape is good for covering a cloth placed over a wound and even controlling bleeding. The tighter you pull it, the more pressure it puts on the opening to stop the bleeding. Duct tape can also be used to prevent blistering by putting on your feet at sensitive spots.
4. Seal Packages of Food – Use duct tape to seal your packages of food and make airtight to prolong freshness and create watertight seals
5. Create a splint with duct tape and a piece of wood.
6. Mark a Trail. If you’re hiking in unfamiliar territory, with few trail markers, make your own. But, don’t leave them on the trees; take each strip off as you find your way back.
7. Keep water out and warmth in by wrapping shoes with duct tape.
8. Another survival use for duct tape is for a shoe repair is new laces. Rolled duct tape can become a pair.
9. Roll up some duct tape into a little roll half an inch in diameter. Cut it in half. Earplugs or noseplugs.
10. Caught a loiter or burglar and want to detain them? Wrap a duct tape around their wrists and use it as handcuffs.